Tuesday, August 7, 2007

A Little Perspective

That Kid is doing an ACT Prep class this week so I decided to take That Other Kid to "chicky-place" (Chick-fil-a) for those of you who aren't familiar with kid-speak. Anyhoo, I'm sitting there with my rambunctous little boy who can hardly eat 2 bites without wanting to get up and go play...when I glance over to the next table and get a little perspective.

Here is a mom sitting with 3 girls -- a girl about 10, and one about 4. The third girl is sitting in a child-sized wheelchair - I would guess her to be 7 or 8. Mom is dealing with all 3 girls, but her focus is on the disabled girl. She is spoon feeding her, trying to keep her happy and encouraging the other girls to eat before they go play. All the while she is trying to squeeze a bite in here and there of her own lunch. She is smiling and talking to her daughter in the wheel chair not at all discouraged that she can't eat her own lunch. Once she finishes taking care of her daughter she tries to eat her lunch, only to hear that she also wants to go play --mind you the little girl only communicates with noises, but she IS communicating loud and clear what she wants. The older daughter is now done and wants to play, too. Mom says will you take your sister in to play just long enough for me to eat? Older daughter agrees, reluctantly....you will come in if she needs help, right? Yes, I just want to eat my lunch, mom says.

I don't know about you but this made me realize how much I have to be thankful for. I left Chick-fil-a thanking God that I have 2 VERY Healthy, active boys. Sometimes they are TOO active and they drive me CRAZY with all their activities and noise, but they are healthy! and for that I am VERY GRATEFUL to GOD.

Time to sit back and be Blessed because our kids are blessings from God even if we don't always appreciate the blessing!

Have a good night,
Ann

No comments: