Thursday, March 25, 2010

One Year and Counting....

One year ago today I went to the Endocrinologist for an appointment. During that appointment he prescribed medicine for a thyroid condition, vitamin D supplement and asked me a simple question that changed my life. That question?

"Do you want to become diabetic?"

I responded with the answer that I'm sure most of his patients gave him, "No". I mean really who wants to go through life (and normally a shorter one at that) with a disease that for MOST people is preventable by making a few (or sometimes a lot) of changes to ensure weightloss and healthier living? I sure didn't. I have a small child to care for, a young adult son to watch mature and grow into a man of character, and a husband to continue loving. Although I joke around that I am old, I am not really that old.

That one question scared me into changing nearly everything about my life. That one question scared me so much so that I walked out of that doctors office and decided then and there that I WOULD lose weight and begin a healthier lifestyle.

The next thing I did was drove to the nearest convenience store and bought myself my LAST COKE for the next 6 weeks. Yes, coke was my biggest vice in NOT losing weight and I KNEW it! As I drank that coke and drove home I talked to God and told him that if he helped me lose weight I would start taking care of the body HE gave me. I WOULD exercise and I WOULD eat healthier and I WOULD stop consuming literally HUNDREDS and some days even a THOUSAND extra calories a day of empty bad calories.

I wanted to live life and live it to the fullest. In order to do that I knew what to do. Eat fewer calories, exercise CONSISTENTLY (not just whenever the mood hit me) and to make sure the calories I was consuming were HEALTHY, GOOD ones.

Starting March 25, 2009, when I walked into the doctor's office weighing in at 226.8 pounds (and sadly that wasn't my highest known weight) I determined that from that point forward I would ONLY go down in weight on the scales. I have kept that agreement and I started exercising and losing weight.

As of this afternoon, when I woke up I have lost exactly 37 pounds. I weighed 189.8 this afternoon and although it isn't what I hoped to have lost by this time I am pleased that I AM LOSING and not gaining. I am so much healthier now than I was 1 year ago. I am consistently exercising (when I feel like it, right now). I can lift more than most people would think I could and I am working a physically demanding job that one year ago there is NO WAY I would have been able to do. I have lost 2 full pant sizes...I was approaching needing a size 20 and I am now able to wear a size 14 without feeling squished!!

I feel so much better...and my doctor is pleased with my progress. He keeps asking how I am doing it. I keep telling him, "Willpower, motivation from my Sisters, and FEAR of dying before old age!" I truly believe this to be true, too. I have come so far, and although I still have a long way to go I KNOW without a shadow of a doubt I CAN DO IT!! I eat (mostly) healthy foods, I drink coke only on occasions when I determine to, and I am physically active. I am progressively getting closer to my goal of a healthy BMI and living a healthy lifestyle.

4 comments:

Sincerely Anna said...

What a significant day! 37 pounds in a year, Ann! You are incredible!!

Anonymous said...

Ann, you are AMAZING! 37 pounds in a year is awesome! Happy Healthy Anniversary!

Brooke said...

you are incredible!! :) We can do anything through Christ's strength. Sometimes that means something as (seemingly) simple as give up cokes. Other times its radically changing your life so that an entire sisterhood of women colletive think you're da bomb. :) way to go Ann (and mad props to God for the assist)

Heather D said...

I love how much you've realized about yourself over the last year. I've only known you, what, since July-ish? I can tell you are so much more sure of yourself. So much more in control. I'm so very proud of you!