Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Homeschooling Poll

Homeschooling has always been a controversial topic. Those who homeschool are very adamant that it is best for them and their kids. Those that don't homeschool think that the public schools or private schools could do a better job with those kids. I agree, homeschooling is NOT for everyone. I have a dear friend who gave it her best shot and has finally decided that putting her kids in the school system IS BEST for them! I applaud her! She went against "peer pressure" and did what was best for HER KIDS and HERSELF! Not everyone is cut out for 24/7 with her kids and teaching them .

I have homeschooled my oldest son his entire life. I plan to start "formal" homeschooling with my youngest son this fall -- actually he's already doing alot of stuff on his own, so homeschooling him has officially begun this summer! I don't have a teaching certificate. I do have 2 years of elementary education study from college. I seriously doubt having a teaching certificate would have made me a better teacher for my older son. I think being a better MOTHER WOULD have made me a better teacher. I also think that I should have followed my INSTINCTS instead of the teacher's manual for all those thousands of dollars of curriculum I bought. I think I should have operated a little more "out of the box". These things would have made me a better mom and teacher.

This poll was found in the Parade magazine and has been making its rounds through the homeschooling community. At first I just ignored it....as I do a lot of these "political-type" polls, but I decided to check it out. I have enclosed the link for the article as well as the link so you can vote.

http://www.parade.com/articles/editions/2008/edition_06-01-2008/Intelligence_Report

In February, a California state appeals court ruled that unless parents have recognized teaching credentials, they must send their children to school. The judge, citing a state education law, said that “parents do not have a constitutional right to home-school their children.” Parents and politicians were outraged, and the court will rehear the case this month.

At stake is the education of the 166,000 California children who currently are home-schooled. But the court decision also could influence laws across the country. Nationwide, up to 2 million children are taught at home. Experts estimate that the number is increasing 7% to 12% a year.

“If upheld, the California ruling will send shock waves nationwide,” says Richard Kahlenberg, the author of a number of books on education. He says the case “pits those who believe parental rights are paramount against those who place a premium on well-educated citizens.”

Right now, only six states have strict regulations for home-schooling, usually requiring parents to have their curriculum approved, to show test scores and, in some places, to submit to home visits. Fourteen states, including California, mandate only that parents notify the state of their decision to home-school.


Let's keep our FREEDOM!!!!! In this area as well as all others!!!

No comments: