Saturday, January 17, 2009

Time to Figure It Out

I'm finally feeling pretty much normal...whatever that is, ya know? So now the "back to normal" routine begins as well as getting things done that I've been wanting to do all month.

But before I start organizing and cleaning and getting my life together, I went to watch That Kid referee a couple of high level hockey games. They were fun to watch, and I knew a lot of the players on 1 of the teams. He had either played with or against most
of these guys at sometime over the past 10 years, so I knew A LOT of the parents. It was fun to see people I had not seen for a while and spend a couple of minutes to find out what everyone is doing or planning to do over the next few months. Most of these young men are seniors or graduated this past May....so they are planning for college, careers, or "trying to figure it out", as one mom told me.

As an 18 year old young man, That Kid is trying to figure his life out right now, too. He is trying to work, take classes at the community college, complete his senior year of high school, spend time with his girl friend, and his millions of other friends. In addition to all this, he is applying to colleges, preparing for future referee opportunities, and trying to build up his physical fitness level so that he will be able to be a faster, stronger skater. He is also having to take care of some health issues, nothing serious, but just things that require going to the doctor and take medications for (which he hates).

Isn't that what we are all trying to do? Figure it out...And we usually think the sooner the better! But as most of us adults know it takes along time to really figure it all out, then the real world throws us a curve ball and we have to refigure it.

I'm still trying to figure my life out...and I'm in my 40's, but I pray that my son can "figure it out" before he is my age!

No comments: