Friday, February 15, 2008

A Little Birds and Bees within the Bible

Tonight as That Other Kid was preparing for bed, he asked to read a story. This is a rarity so I gladly agreed to read a story even though it was getting late and he was more than grumpy! I told him to bring a book from his room out to the living room and I would read it to him as we did "medicine mask" (nebulizer for asthma). He brought in Bible Stories for Little Kids, that That Kid bought for him about a year ago (see he is a good kid!). I have never actually read through the whole book, he gets bored about half way through usually (reading takes time and you have to sit, and be quiet or you can't hear the story-- this is just too much to ask for).

About 3/4 of the way through tonight the story was talking about Abraham and Sarah having a baby, and That Other Kid says to me, "how did that baby come out of the mommy?"
Wow!! wasn't ready for that one!

Then he turns to me and says "was I in your tummy, mommy, when I was zero?" (That's his way of giving an zage to an infant.) I tell him "yes, before you were born, (ie, before he was zero) you were in my tummy."

He then turns to me and says "how did I come out!!???"

How do you answer that question to a 4 year old???

I told him I went to the hospital and the doctor helped him come out. That seemed to satisfy him for now!! Of course, he's only 4 so I better come up with some better answers as he gets older!!!

Oh the things that come out just reading a simple Bible Story book...maybe I better stick with Dr. Suess!!

1 comment:

Robin said...

How funny - kids are a riot!