Monday, September 21, 2009

Dominoes Can Be A Great Math Lesson!!

This morning we were getting ready to work on school, but That Other Kid wanted to play dominoes, so I decided to incorporate a game of dominoes into his math lesson of the day!! Nothing like playing and doing school at the same time, huh??!!

So every time he down a domino I had him add up the 2 numbers that were on the domino, for example if he had a 2 and 4 he was going to say the equation 2+4=6. He had to do this for the domino that I sat down too! So when were all done with our little game of dominoes he had 28 math problems solved! And he had FUN!!!

This is what I love about homeschooling!! He even wanted to play again!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tip, Ann! I'm always looking for ways to make math fun. We do a lot of games as well, Skip-Bo and Uno being our current faves. I don't want the kids to grow up thinking math is hard or a chore. So whereas I have a few age-appropriate Singapore books, and I'm referring to the Ray's books for sequential guidance, for Liam it's all play right now.

Sincerely Anna said...

Yay for sneaking math into a game that he requested. Sounds like you two had a great time!