Sunday, April 20, 2008

Type "A" Personalities

I just realized tonight what I should have been able to figure out over the past 4+ years; That Other Kid is a very powerful Type A personality and I don't do Type A well. Therefore, we clash in nearly every way possible.

Most Type A personalities -- especially males don't "do" authority well and last I checked moms are supposed to have authority over their kids and help guide and direct them "in the way that they should go". There you go....C.L.A.S.H. and butt heads and mom ends up exhausted after just the most typical day.

When you give a Type A personality to a little boy that has excessive energy and above average intelligence to the equation of a mom who has been suffering with sinus infections and various illnesses over the past 9 months what you end up with a tired, frustrated mom and a bored, frustrated little boy.

This week I'm going to work on helping him to burn all his energy...I am signing him up for Lil Dragon Karate classes. My goal for sending him to this class will be 2-fold, burn energy and help him to be more self-controlled. I'm not holding my breathe, but I am hoping!!

I'm also going to have That Kid take him ice skating this week to practice skating, since he is starting to get frustrated in his "hockey skate class". He is still skating slow, although he is precise and exact (Type A), he wants and needs to skate faster if he wants to take the "stick and puck hockey class" next session which will begin in June. Hopefully, extra practice with big brother will be just what the student needs! And if not, at least he'll get some extra energy burning exercise this week outside of the house....

No comments: