Friday, October 5, 2007

A Sad Heart

Tonight I am very sad and feel somewhat heart-broken. If you have or have had teenagers maybe you will understand.
Today I wanted to "hang out" with That Kid. He was working a game that was VERY convenient for me and That Other Kid to attend (he's a hockey official). I knew that That Other Kid would fall asleep on the ride over --the car does it every time when he is tired, yeah!! So, I figured it would give us an opportunity to talk...about anything in particular or nothing in particular.... I was just missing him, even though he is here most days he is ALWAYS BUSY doing school work or visiting with friends on the phone. I've been missing him!!!
Instead, he got MAD that I wanted to go in the same vehicle and watch the game...."I don't understand why you want to go, it will be boring, blah, blah, blah"...I was hurt and went into the house crying and angry. DH butted in and told him we were going in the same car TOGETHER. Get in the car....and apologize for hurting your mom's feelings.
Instead I got the silent treatment the whole drive --- to and from! Over an hour of nothing, but driving instructions from my teenage son who has only been driving a year...to his mom who has been driving ALONG TIME!!
Oh, he had time to text message friends, request dinner on the way home, and stare off into space. But he couldn't spare time to talk to mom---
I'm still hurt and angry...I have to learn to let go of it, but it hurts!!

1 comment:

koinonia community said...

I still look back at when I was a teen. I thought I was soooooo cool. But I was a jerk! I big fat baby throwing temper tantrums left and right because I wanted to be BIG. When I run across people I used to know, I wonder if they remember me that way.

He will change. In the meantime, keep loving the kid, but hating the behavior. And repeat to self, "I will not go postal. I will not go postal". ;0)