Thursday, August 9, 2007

Mornings are for sleeping

When That Kid was about 3 years old I told him, "mommy doesn't like to wake up till after the 8 shows up on the clock. Do you know what the 8 looks like? yes, he replied. "Good, don't wake me till after the 8". Ok, no problem...he complied. He would sometimes wake me right at 8:00, but never before. What a good little boy! Today he doesn't see the light of day till around 10, unless I specifically make him get up. I'm ok with that. It's one of the many advantages of Homeschooling. You can start your day when it fits your life style.

Life moved on like this till about 3 1/2 years ago....when That Other Kid arrived in the world and he decided that he didn't like this system. It was time for a change! I had slept in long enough, he figured.

I tried the same approach with him -- but oh no! Waiting till 8:00 a.m. is just wasting too much precious time. He prefers 7 a.m. and the boy wakes up ready to PLAY, PLAY, PLAY. I have tried telling him that it is still night time till 8 a.m. but he is WAY too smart for that foolishness. I guess it wouldn't be sooooo bad, but he doesn't think bedtime is till after 9 p.m. This makes for a VERY long day for a mommy who can't really function before 9:00 a.m. and after 10:00 p.m. Not to mention the thousands for things that need to be accomplished AFTER bedtime.



Oh well at least I had few years of sleep!!!

1 comment:

koinonia community said...

I agree! After 7 years of 4-5 hours sleep a night, I am getting 8-9. Instead of being grumpy all the time, I am annoyingly perky! I have taught my girls to play quietly so mommy can take a nap. Make noise - you nap too! Woo hoo! I think I'll go take a nap!