Monday, May 25, 2009

Graduation Time Means So Much

The month of May is always a special time in the life of teenagers and children. It signifies the end of school and the beginning of summer....lazy days in the pool, or hanging out. Or in the case of That Kid SLEEPING NON-STOP during the day and then goofing off with friends in the evening and night!! This May has been a particularly special month for me and my family. There have been numerous graduation ceremonies and celebrations.

My oldest niece graduated from high school on May 17 in Kansas, which explains one of my two trips to Kansas this month! A cousin of mine also has a daughter who graduated from high school May 17 in Topeka, Kansas. This week also marked my youngest niece's graduation from preschool. Next week my nephew will graduate from elementary school. This Saturday, May 23 marked the graduation ceremony for some of our closest homeschooling friends. It also marked the date we had set aside for That Kid's graduation. He decided not to participate in a ceremony which freed him up to go to other friend's graduation ceremony.

May 23 was also a special day for me. It was on May 23, 1983 that I graduated from high school! It's hard to believe that I graduated 26 years ago....seems forever ago, but then again I remember so much about that day. I remember walking up on stage and getting that piece of paper that stated I had completed high school. I remember going home with my family and being the guest of honor....and let me tell you in a home of 6 people that didn't happen often. I remember friends coming over and celebrating with me. I remember going to a graduation party with my friends and with my then boyfriend, now dh and coming home the next morning! That was the first time I had stayed out all night with no consequences from my parents! I also remember that the next school day my little brothers had to get up and go to school! I got to stay home and sleep!! Yeah!!

Graduation time is a time to celebrate the accomplishments of those students who have completed their education in that school. It also is a time for family and friends to honor those students and their accomplishments. It is a time for fun and reflection. It is also a time to look forward to what lies ahead. After I graduated I knew that I wanted to go to college and be a teacher. I also knew that I would probably be married within the next few years. I did attend college (for 2 years), I did marry just 1 short year after graduating, and I did become a teacher...just not for pay! I did not follow my original course, but I did do the things I had decided to do...just not the way I intended.

For those graduating from college, high school, middle school/junior high, elementary school or pre-school I say follow your dreams. Whatever they may be. However they may change over the course of the years, follow them!! If you don't follow your dreams then you have no one to blame but yourself for the disappointment that will follow you.

Over the course of the next few days I am going to honor 3 very special high school graduates. They are special to me so it will take a while to write all I have to say about them... Please follow along and help me honor them.


That Kid

"Boo"

"A"

1 comment:

Mary@notbefore7 said...

GREAT shots! May is a great time of year for graduates - so important to reflect on their accomplishments.