Friday, January 22, 2010

Monday's Project: Tootin' My Own Horn!!

Rethink Your Shrink, The Monday Project

Wow!! The Sisters are making me toot my own horn this week....that is not something I am real good at, but I don't want to let my sisters down so I have done my homework and found 5 ways to toot my own horn and tell ya'll "why I rock"!!

1) I have been married for more than 25 years to the same man! I married young and was told that when you marry young (19) you risk divorce within the first 5 years. Well I guess I beat the odds there...cuz this summer we will celebrate 26 years! I'm not saying it hasn't been a struggle at times, but when you make a committment to someone you need to hang tight and make it work!

2) Last year I graduated That Kid from our homeschool and sent him off to a Private Christian University. I homeschooled him all the way through from kindergarten. He attended some dual credit classes at the local community college as a senior and made A's in 3 of the 4 classes. He made a B in the 4th class. Not bad for a student who was a self-proclaimed "hater of school". He is now attending a university and has decided he wants to get his PHD in Psychology. Hum...I musta done something right, huh?!!

3) I have lost at least 40 pounds since my highest known weight of 229. I didn't really start counting my weight loss at that point, because I didn't really think it could happen without some surgical help. However, once I went to the doctor and he told me I needed to "do something" to get this weight off or I would be a diabetic soon I started working HARD to do just that!! I consider my starting point 226.8 because that is what I weighed on that day back in March of 2009. I have done it simply by cutting back on food intake and exercising! No pills, no surgery, just plain and simple HARD WORK!! I had been on high blood pressure medicine for over 5 years because of the excessive weight gain and NOW I'M NOT ON IT BECAUSE I HAVE LOST ENOUGH WEIGHT TO NOT NEED IT!! Yay Me!!

4) I normally have a very curvy figure...and now I seem to be getting it back. At least according to my husband!! I still have a long way to go but I'm getting there!

5) I am a good friend. I love to help others and serve them any way I can. Right now I am helping a friend (while she is out of town taking care of her in-laws) and taking care of her little boy during the day. I am also "trying" to homeschool him and That Other Kid at the same time, something that I am finding a bigger challenge than I thought it would be!

Thanks for making me look for ways I ROCK! I think it helps to have it in writing too. That way when I am down I can look at it and realize I'm not all bad!

5 comments:

Heather D said...

Ann, you are so amazing. Married 26 years? Rocks. Raising happy, well rounded children? Rocks. Losing 40 pounds. Uh, totally rocks!
You're an inspiration, undoubtedly!

Brooke said...

its so incredible that you've been able get off (and not go onto) your medication!! great work. :)

Sincerely Anna said...

You absolutely rock! It's so fun to read about you through your blog but I'm even more thankful that we've emailed and have become friends. God put you on my heart today and I prayed for you. Hope you had a good day!

Bacardi Mama said...

Ann, I love your list. 40 pounds is a huge loss. I hope to make it there some day. You totally rock!!

Mom of 3 boys said...

You do totally rock. 26 years is awesome, Homeschooling your son and him wanting to continue his education rocks, losing 40 pounds. Keep it up.